Mary E. from Ponchatoula, LA

I love my sewing cottage. I had a small room in my home that I used for sewing. I outgrew my room and dreaded going in it to sew. My husband helped me plan and build a little cottage behind our home for sewing. I have a DualMate Plus IV for my Ellisimo Gold and Evolution Serger. I also have the Treasure Chest storage chest that I also use for cutting. I have the Outback for another sewing center. Now I love going to my sewing room. My friends love to come and sew with me. A Dream Come True.

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Click the stars to rate the studio from 1 to 10.
like... love... my dream
Rating: 8.8/10 (82 votes cast)
Mary E. from Ponchatoula, LA, 8.8 out of 10 based on 82 ratings
Back to Share Your Studio Gallery

1. avatar Natalie
    May 04, 2012 @ 09:19:17

That is a great sewing space, no wondering you enjoy it so much. I could sit and sew under the porch, it looks very nice.

• avatar Janeen Vice
      May 04, 2012 @ 09:42:55

Love it, how peaceful and very well laid out.

• avatar Mary Ernst
        Sep 27, 2012 @ 20:40:15

Thanks so much!

• avatar Galii
      May 22, 2012 @ 13:39:11

That’s a very clever idea. I have sereval Bee quilts from my grandma that are different seam allowances now that i quilt i noticed. It’s a very pretty quilt. I have sereval UFO’s

• avatar Mary Ernst
      Sep 27, 2012 @ 20:39:28

Thank you so much for your kind words. I love the porch too! With fall wreath and pumpkins and cooler weather, it is really nice.

2. avatar Sew Victorian
    May 04, 2012 @ 10:47:04

Oh my gosh! What a BEAUTIFUL space and the cottage is so beyond cute. I thought I had a lot of room but yours is spacious and so very very very pretty!

• avatar Mary Ernst
      Sep 27, 2012 @ 20:44:57

Yes, love all the space. I have a closet that is 17 x 7 foot and has shelving all around. I have organized my fabric accorning to color and have stacked the boxes on the shelves. Now that I have lots of my sewing things organized, my main sewing area is neater – and I can find what I need easier. Thanks so much for your kind words.

3. avatar Cheri
    May 10, 2012 @ 16:10:24

Love your space. I only have a 10 x 12 bedroom and it always so cramped when I do anything larger than a crib size quilt. No room to spread out. Wish my hubby would make me a space like that maybe when I retire.

4. avatar ArtsySharon
    Jun 07, 2012 @ 16:29:05

Fabulous! I want a sewing cottage too!!!

5. avatar Roselyn
    Jun 07, 2012 @ 16:43:39

Your sewing cottage is amazing! My space is small, but I love my Koala sewing table and Outback. It’s my nest!

Enjoy your wonderful sewing spot!

6. avatar Marilyn Fromherz
    Jun 07, 2012 @ 18:13:33

Yes, this would be my dream sewing – a house of my own! You are a very lucky lady to have such a wonderful place to sew.

• avatar Mary Ernst
      Sep 27, 2012 @ 20:46:09

Yes, I am a very lucky lady! :)

7. avatar Jean
    Jun 07, 2012 @ 19:47:22

love it!!!

8. avatar renee pasquale
    Jun 08, 2012 @ 23:27:55

This is so pretty!!! Definitely my idea of a dream studio. Keep the diamonds–keep the shoes—give me my own sewing cottage—-now we’re talking my version of luxury!!! I dream of a place like this and often lay it out—designing it in my mind. Not realistic for me—but it’s fun to dream!!! I am however thankful for my quaint sewing/craft rooms–both filled to the brim with sewing goodies. This is my special,peaceful place that makes me happy to enter and remain for hours. Enjoy this cottage—-and may it inspire many new creations!!!!!

• avatar Mary Ernst
      Sep 27, 2012 @ 20:48:36

Thanks so much, Renee. Your kind words mean so much. May you be blessing with many happy sewing hours. :)

9. avatar Gail Coe
    Jun 24, 2012 @ 21:20:43

What a paradise! You must be very deserving and have a sweet fella to do that for you! The Koala furniture is wonderful! Congrats to you and happy sewing!

10. avatar Linda Whitehead
    Jul 07, 2012 @ 14:09:50

Mary,
    I love your sewing cottage! My husband was wanting to know the dimensions of your cottage. We have the room, in back of our house to do something like this. Again I love your cottage!

• avatar Mary Ernst
      Sep 27, 2012 @ 20:35:05

Hi Linda,
      Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner. I have been super busy with family. My husband and I remeasured the sewing cottage tonight to make sure we had the correct measurements. The building itself is 30 ft wide and 17 feet depth with a 7 foot front porch=24 feet. On the inside. I have a 6 foot by 17 foot closet. I have wire shelving all the way around the closet room – (Love that). The main sewing room is 24×17. If you need any more info or pictures, I would be happy to send them to you.

11. avatar Sheila G
    Sep 21, 2012 @ 20:15:48

I love your sewing studio. Can you tell me what color your Treasure Chest is? Also in picture 1, back right side, what is the piece of furniture with all of the drawers? It looks like it is equipped with leaves on the sides and a lower pocket on the right side.

12. avatar Tori
    Sep 27, 2012 @ 10:57:59

Hi Sheila! It looks like her treasure chest is in the American Birdseye Maple finish.

13. avatar Diana McDonald
    Oct 02, 2012 @ 14:49:52

This is beyond nice. How wonderful to have your own cottage for sewing. I wish you many years of happiness in it.

14. avatar Ronda Halvorsen-Ferns
    May 23, 2013 @ 07:13:26

I love it and that is my sewing block I am so cluttered (fabri-notion-pattern-holic) that there is so much stuff I cant see my cutting table!

15. avatar Lynda byrd
    Dec 28, 2015 @ 01:00:05

I live in Ponchatoula LA. Was wondering if you have sewing classes

16. avatar kim
    Aug 18, 2016 @ 05:01:09

Mary. Had seen your studio and thought of you during this flooding. Hoping you all and the cottageare “high and dry”. Sending thoughts for your community.