Terry C. from Melbourne, FL

I’ve worked for 12 years to create a sewing room that reflects the style of my home as well as being completely functional. This arrangement using Koala furniture, and their willingness to customize existing pieces to fit my needs, accomplishes both.

My sewing room is an open design and can be viewed from our front entry. It was always a challenge to be able to work on projects and not have the room look messy when we have company. Notice the solid top on the Embroidery Center Plus, that was the key change that made this workable for me as I use a home embroidery machine and didn’t want the cut out, but needed something to handle the weight and vibration. I use a couple of the large drawers as ‘Current Project’ drawers to quickly stash things when someone comes over. All in all, for me it’s perfect!

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Click the stars to rate the studio from 1 to 10.
like... love... my dream
Rating: 9.4/10 (61 votes cast)
Terry C. from Melbourne, FL, 9.4 out of 10 based on 61 ratings
Back to Share Your Studio Gallery

1. avatar Janie Johnson
    Oct 21, 2012 @ 06:21:34

This is my dream! Beautiful and functional!

2. avatar Sheila G
    Oct 24, 2012 @ 21:53:50

I love your room. What color are your cabinets? And what height? Did you purchase any with the outback leafs?

• avatar terry
      Nov 19, 2012 @ 15:22:32

The cabinets are Golden Teak. I debated using a lighter color, but this is just such a rich color and it worked perfectly. I believe its Koala’s most popular color.
      All cabinets are the 35″ height and it’s perfect for me. I use the Koala chair that’s a little higher than standard for sewing, and stand to cut or iron. I’m 5’5″ and am comfortable with this height for all functions.
      I have the Outback leafs on the sewing cabinet (open in the pics, i never close that one) as well as the Storage Center Plus. But this arrangement has been so versatile I’m not sure I will need to open that one, still better to have than wish i did.
      I had a room full of Horn furniture I got rid of for the Koala and there is no comparison in quality or functionality. Strangely the Horn was equivalent in price.
      Email me if I can help you with your room, Terry

3. avatar Dawn
    Jan 06, 2013 @ 18:06:59

Terry,
    I also have a Bernina Embroidery machine and was coveting the Embroidery Center Plus but stopped considering it because of the cut out. How did you make your top solid? Did Koala do this as a custom add-on or did you purchase a different top?

Dawn

4. avatar Terry
    Jan 13, 2013 @ 13:23:52

I called Koala and they added the solid top as a custom option for $99. It was the perfect answer for me and there are absolutely no issues with vibration, even when embroidering with the 830 on full speed.
    I also added another ‘Hoop Closet’ inside as another $99 option so I have separate hoop closets for each of my machines.
    Let me know if u have any problem getting the it ordered with the options and I’ll provide u with my contact person.
    Terry

5. avatar Dawn
    Jan 17, 2013 @ 23:26:10

Terry
    I had my Bernina and Koala retailer call and they would not allow for a custom top to be added. Do you mind giving me your contact person name and number? Thank you very much in advance.

Dawn

• avatar Terry
      Feb 02, 2013 @ 18:35:41

I’m working this…just checking how my contact wants to get the info to you.

6. avatar Terry
    Feb 05, 2013 @ 16:54:04

Hi Dawn, can u reply with the contact info for your Koala Dealer? As soon as I get that info my contact will call your Koala dealer and give them the necessary info to get your cabinet ordered with the solid top.
    Thanks, Terry

• avatar Robyn
      Aug 29, 2014 @ 21:01:22

Hi Terry, I live in Sydney Australia. I am very interested in finding out how to order the custom solid top for the embroidery centre. I would like to have a similar set up to what you have. I am going to buy the Bernina 880 soon and would like to have it set up like that if I can. I have back trouble and need everything at a good height when standing. Would you please be able to send me some more photos of the inside of the embroidery centre and another from the other angle of the unit closed. I really do like how you have set up your room. Any help would be much appreciated.

• avatar Terry C
        Nov 21, 2014 @ 08:55:52

Hi Robin, sorry I didn’t see this sooner. I have temporarily relocated to Belgium but can get pics of whatever you want when I return home for the Christmas holiday.
        I did use the Room Planner kit I downloaded from the Koala site to help plan the room, but when I came down to within inches of cabinets fitting I called and spoke to them to verify before ordering.
        I brought a single Koala cabinet with me, but greatly miss my perfect sewing room and look forward to getting back to home and it ASAP.
        Verify you are still watching this and I’ll get the pics in mid December.
        Happy Planning!

• avatar Robyn
          Mar 25, 2015 @ 05:03:15

Hi Terry,
          I’m sorry I didn’t see your reply sooner. I still check back now and then to see if there are new posts here. Thanks for offering to send more info for me. I have actually ordered what I thought was what I needed and seems to be working for me. My only regret is that I chose white and now wish I had gone with the Golden Teak, if only I could exchange. Also I found out about the new XL lift available now but the lift in the Quilt Pro I chose will not fit the new larger machines now. I still love your set up the best, the colour is beautiful in your room, the furniture colour goes so well with the colour on your walls. Also sorry I got this all wrong, where to make reply comments.

• avatar Terry
            Apr 04, 2015 @ 00:48:14

I’m glad you got your sewing room done! I strongly debated my cabinets in white, and the lighter surfaces could be a advantage at times. I have found life long that low contrast suits me and it worked in this case. Maybe you could consider changing the color of your walls? Or hang tapestries, quilts, or fabrics to pull the color in? The cabinets are so great function-wise I’m sure you can make it work. And BTW, when I bought mine the XL lift wasn’t available yet, but I use the Bernina 830 & 880 in mine and have zero problems. Hope you enjoy creating with your new furniture!

7. avatar Debi
    Apr 03, 2013 @ 22:17:08

You did a outstanding job with your set up! Great work area.

8. avatar Shelley
    Nov 24, 2013 @ 09:20:14

Very Nice! How big is you sewing room? I am in the process of organizing my sewing room and your design is great!

9. avatar mad14kt
    Apr 09, 2014 @ 05:37:37

I LOVE this room :)

10. avatar Lyn Chasteen
    Mar 06, 2015 @ 17:13:06

This is a beautiful, function room and I would love to sew in this room. You could even have partners come and help with different projects. Just a great room.

Lyn Chasteen

11. avatar Robyn
    Mar 24, 2015 @ 00:38:31

Hi Terry,
    I’m sorry I didn’t see your reply sooner. I still check back now and then to see if there are new posts here. Thanks for offering to send more info for me. I have actually ordered what I thought was what I needed and seems to be working for me. My only regret is that I chose white and now wish I had gone with the Golden Teak, if only I could exchange. Also I found out about the new XL lift available now but the lift in the Quilt Pro I chose will not fit the new larger machines now. I still love your set up the best, the colour is beautiful overall.

12. avatar Ingrid Harrington
    May 15, 2015 @ 12:26:41

All I can say is WOW! Beautiful room & so functional. I’d love to see the rest of your home too. Just loverly.

13. avatar RUSSELL BURDEN
    Feb 10, 2016 @ 14:32:36

Hi, do you know anyone who could make a mattress cover here in Melbourne?