Organize Your Sewing Space in 5 Easy Steps

We came across this article recently and think it had some really great organizational tips. In the article, they talk about how to organize your pantry, but we think you can easily adapt their tips for use in your sewing space.

Keep reading for 5 easy steps to get your sewing space organized!

1. Evaluate your needs.

Make a list of everything you love about your sewing space, then make a list of the things that you simply can’t stand about your space. After that, think about and make note of the most-used items in your sewing space. Keep those items in mind when arranging your space. For example, the items you use every day should be housed somewhere with very easy access, while the seldom-used items can be stored in a more out-of-the-way area.

2. Empty out your space.

It sounds overwhelming, but this is an excellent exercise that will help you realize what all you have in your inventory of sewing & crafting goodies. You may even discover a few treasures you’ve been missing. (Not that that’s ever happened to us…)

3. Categorize your stuff.

Group like items together, such as fabric in one pile, notions in another, and so on. Knowing how much you have in each category of goods will help you when determining where to keep them, as well as if you need to purchase any additional storage bins or shelves.

4. Get rid of the excess.

Now’s the time to purge! Get rid of duplicates, items you don’t have a need for, etc. Throw away what can’t be used and donate the rest. Your sewing space will feel lighter, and you can feel good knowing that someone else may be searching for exactly what you didn’t need anymore.

5. Put Humpty back together again.

It gets worse before it gets better, right? Well, now’s the time it will get better. Once you’ve made it through the first 4 steps of this process, you’re ready to get your sewing space back in working order. If you are unsure of how to actually layout your space, we encourage you to use our Online Room Planner. You may also want to check out this article from Organized Home; it has some great tips for setting up your sewing space!

For additional organization inspiration, visit us on Pinterest!

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Click the stars to rate the studio from 1 to 10.
like... love... my dream
Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast)

1. avatar Grace Niederlehner
    Feb 12, 2015 @ 13:14:36

i did the above steps and took graph paper and drew my room to scale and made templates for each piece of furniture and storage containers. Then I played with all of these things until I found a plan that I thought utilized the space the best for me. I like what I have even though it isn’t filled with your beautiful furniture. I wish I could afford to have some of the wonderful pieces of furniture.

• avatar Sharan
      Feb 20, 2015 @ 23:36:13

I did the same thing Grace did – draw room on graph paper with pen. Then I placed quilting units in various places with pencil. All storage units went in oversized closet initially. But I found I was always going to closet for something. I placed two units on either end of 30″ x 48″ pressing board. Problem solved! I penciled in a window seat. Love it for a spot to rest, or “reverse” stitch. Everything is counter height except sewing machine. This allows me to move freely and quickly around the room. Yes, it took a while. And I still tweak my space as I discover better ideas. But the time spent has been made up 10 fold as I truly enjoy playing in my room.

2. avatar Robyn
    Feb 16, 2015 @ 00:41:32

Why are there no photos of this new XL lift? I want to see what I am buying before I buy it. It must change the look overall of the units. I want to see the XL lift in the units with the large Destiny or other machine in the unit to see how much more room is needed and how much more room it takes up in the units This may affect my decision on the lift and the machine I want to buy. I am thinking of buying 2 pieces of furniture with lifts in them.

3. avatar Linda King
    May 05, 2015 @ 05:25:22

I tried to get mine organized, but failed. My room is small, my fabric, batting, and some crat supplies are stored on shelving in the closet. I also have some shelving for boxes of pre-cuts and books, I also have a peg board, & design wall on the walls. I have a large desk for sewing/fquilting, a cutting table and iron table, file cabinet with printer on top, a chest for thread & notions and a TV. I need lots of help for the area. Can’t afford to purchase Koala, on a low income. Most of the time I get claustrophobia if I am in my precious studio to many hours during the day.

1. avatar Grace Niederlehner