Koala Studios FAQ’s

Koala Studios FAQ

Q: If I have a Koala Studio, what happens when I buy a new machine?

A: When you purchase a new sewing machine, you can order a new custom cut machine insert. Koala inserts are custom made for your sewing machine make and model and are available in either matching wood or clear acrylic.

If your new machine is more than 22 in. wide or weights more than 50 pounds, then you will need a new Koala Studio with the XL Lift. Lear more about the XL Lift here.

Q: What materials are used to make Koala Studios?

A: The materials used in building Koala Studios were chosen so that each Studio could be made with rounded beveled edges that eliminate sharp edges and corners that snag fabrics. This design element also provides the operator comfort and enjoyment of a beautiful finished piece of furniture.

To incorporate these design advantages, the wood core must be made from a dense, high-grade, 3/4 in. thick fiberboard with no imperfections and shaped with a computer-controlled diamond tip router. Once shaped, the board is then finished with a beautiful, thick vinyl veneer that is hard-wearing, scratch-resistant, water resistant, and easy to clean.

Q: Where are Koala Studios made?

All Koala Studios are made in our own American Midwest factory that is owned by an American third-generation family run business.

Q: What heights are available for the cabinets?

A: For most Studio models, there are three height options: 29 1/4 in., 32 1/4 in., and 35 1/4 in. The TreasureChest, StorageCenter, and CraftPro can also be built at a height of 38 1/4 in.

Q: What is the best cabinet height for me?

This question is quite personal, and there are several factors that need to be considered when making this decision in addition to a person’s height. One of the biggest challenges our customers deal with are physical issues related to aging that continue to change over time, such as eyesight, flexibility, and possible injuries. In dealing with these challenges, Koala provides several options to meet individual needs that include variables that can be adjusted over time. These variable include adjustable floors, foot control rests, machine lift platforms, and chairs.

Also, it is important to consider if you are only going to use the studio while sitting or if you desire to use it while standing to layout projects and cut fabric. If you want to use it for both sitting and standing, start by choosing the right standing height that meets your personal needs. From there, you will need to order the studio with an adjustable floor, foot control rest, and chair, so that it is ergonomically correct for you while sitting and standing.

Q: Does the Outback Leaf Extension come standard with the cabinet?

No. Not everyone has room for the Outback Leaf Extensions, so it is not automatically built into every studio. But if desired, it will need to be added as an accessory option at the time you purchase your base model cabinet as it cannot be added after the Studio is built and shipped.

Q: If I don’t order an Outback Leaf, can I add one on later?

Q: What do you mean by “Studio”?

More than just a table or storage cabinet, Koala Studios are designed and built to complement your home, as well as inspire creativity. When using a Koala Studio, even when shared with other furniture, we consider this space to be your creative retreat. We also consider a room featuring several Koala models to be a Studio Suite.

Q: What is included in a Base Model?

The base model features are standard with each Studio, but vary on companion models. The base model features on a Studio include: electric glide lift, left and right front doors, notion and fabric palettes, internal adjustable shelves, soft-closing drawers, and built at a standard height.

Q: What are Outback Shelves?

Optional Outback Shelves are designed to be attached below the optional Outback Leaf Extension. They are designed to provide added storage and enable a user to position the Studio in the center of a room to maximize the storage and surface areas, much like a kitchen island.

Q: How should I clean my Koala Studio?

Koala Studios are easy to clean.  We often use Pledge or Windex multi-surface wipes.

Q: Is the finish easily scratched?

The finish is a thick vinyl veneer that is mar-resistant, water resistant, and beautiful. Veneer of this quality has a wonderful richness of color, but is not bullet proof. Take care when using scissors, notions, and other accessories. If ever a component of the studio is severely damaged, it can be replaced and will match perfectly.

Q: Will my machine fit in a Koala Studio?

The vast majority of sewing machines on the market will fit in Koala’s standard machine opening.

For the largest machines- over 22 in. wide and weighing over 50 lbs.- Koala recommends the optional XL Lift. Click here for more information.

Q: What embroidery machines fit in the Koala Artisan Studio?

The Artisan’s Embroidery Module Closet has been designed to fit the Baby Lock Destiny and Brother Dream Machine, as well as all Baby Lock and Brother machines.  It also accommodates most other embroidery modules, but does not fit the Viking Epic.  We recommend confirming with your local Koala retailer to determine the best Studio to fit your machine. Additionally, Bernina 700 and 800 series owners should choose Koala’s BERNINA Studio, available exclusively through BERNINA retailers.

Q: What is the Embroidery Hoop Closet?  Can I add it to my Koala Studio?

We have two different sizes of Embroidery Hoop Closets, the “Standard” and “Artisan” hoop closets.  The “Artisan” hoop closet only fits in the Artisan Studio and is included as a standard feature of the base model Artisan studio. In addition to storing a variety of hoops, the Artisan hoop closet provides limited space for stabilizer storage.

The “Standard” embroidery hoop closet may be added as an optional accessory at the time of order on the QuiltMate, QuiltPro, DualMate, SewMate, TreasureChest, and Bernina Studios when equipped with the “Standard” machine lift.  The “Standard” embroidery hoop closet cannot be added as an accessory to these listed models when ordered along with  XL Lift option. The “Standard” embroidery hoop closet may also be added to the Storage Center and Small Storage Centers.

If you are unsure if this can be added to the model of your choice, please contact your local Koala Retailer for help in customizing your studio.

1. avatar Debra Iammatteo
    Feb 12, 2015 @ 11:17:31

Do you sell wholesale?

2. avatar Sarah Radcliffe
    Mar 09, 2015 @ 15:28:39

I have a cub cabinet and I have the Brother Quattro sewing machine. I was thinking about trading it in for the Brother Dream Machine. My question is will the new machine fit into my cub and cam I use my same insert?
    Sarah

• avatar lois willingham
      Apr 27, 2015 @ 14:50:43

you will have to buy a new insert. they have them for a number of different machines.

3. avatar Karen Henderson
    Apr 06, 2015 @ 05:12:18

I tried to enter the sweepstake, but it requires me to enter a “State” in the address boxes. I live in Washington DC, so there is no state to enter. Usually there is an option to select The District of Columbia, but that option is not available either. How can I enter the sweepstake?

4. avatar Shirley McAllister
    Apr 17, 2015 @ 03:22:01

Hi
    Could you please tell me why this sweepstake is only for sewers in the U.S.A. to enter.
    I think all Canadian sewer and for that matter sewers from all around the world would love
    a chance to win any thing from Koala Studios.
    Thank you so much for your time and please have a good day
    Shirley McAllister

5. avatar Dianne Maxcy
    Apr 19, 2015 @ 15:34:50

After my dealer has faxes in my order how long does it take to get to get my cabinet. I ordered a cub with left hand opening and 2 shelves nod insert.

• avatar Susanne
      May 27, 2015 @ 13:18:41

Hi Dianne, custom-built Koala studios generally take 6-8 weeks for construction and delivery. This varies somewhat throughout the year. Your Koala retailer can get an estimated lead time by contacting us. You can also select a later delivery window if you need to delay receiving your new Studio – such as if you are waiting construction or remodeling to be complete.

6. avatar Dianne
    Apr 19, 2015 @ 15:38:51

Very excited about my new cabinet being made. Love my Local Dealer and can’t wait till it arrives.

7. avatar Pat O'Grady
    Apr 21, 2015 @ 12:09:55

I purchased Koala quilters cabinet in 2007. At that time, my sewing machine was a Bernina 750.
    I now have new Bernina 880. How can I resolve the issue of using the cabinet with the Bernina 880?
    Thanks,
    Pat

• avatar Susanne
      May 27, 2015 @ 13:21:22

Hi Pat,
      If the opening on your 2007 Koala is big enough for your new machine, you can order a new insert for your 880. If the opening is too small, you’ll want to upgrade to a new American-made Koala. Please call our customer support team at 1-877-496-8060 for assistance ordering inserts.

• avatar Rhonda Barham
      Sep 14, 2015 @ 08:01:31

i am about to experience the same. I have an Outback Plus that I bought in February ’08. I am strongly considering buying the Bernina 790 QE. It weighs 32 lbs. How did your transition go? I can’t justify nor afford to buy a new cabinet and machine.

• avatar Rhonda Barham
        Sep 14, 2015 @ 08:02:38

Oops…that’s a 770QE, not a 790.

• avatar Rhonda Barham
      Sep 14, 2015 @ 08:03:40

i am about to experience the same. I have an Outback Plus that I bought in February ’08. I am strongly considering buying the Bernina 770

8. avatar Kelly Baker
    Jun 14, 2015 @ 14:43:04

How do we find out who won the sweepstakes? I am hoping that I won something so I am trying to see if I did or not.

9. avatar Kitty Winkworth
    Jun 20, 2015 @ 09:16:27

I have a Bernina 220 and am curious how to adjust lift height about 1/2-3/4 nch lower on my Australian made Quilt mate Ii. Can I do that so the machine surface is smooth with the template?

10. avatar Sally L
    Jun 24, 2015 @ 14:58:50

I have an older Koala model #601345. I want to raise the shelf/platform (manual) but it is stuck in the down position. This happened once before and I cannot remember how I resolved it. Thanks!

• avatar becky mcintyre
      Aug 11, 2015 @ 12:04:48

Did you figure this out? I have the same problem!

• avatar becky mcintyre
      Aug 11, 2015 @ 13:42:46

Got it! I have an older model Koala cabinet with the hydraulic lift. I got under it and didn’t see any way to manually “unlock” it, so I don’t think one exists. What I did was to just push harder a few times (many more times than normal) and that seemed to have unlocked it and let it rise.

11. avatar Bridget Barelka
    Jun 26, 2015 @ 14:56:00

Hi Pat;

I own a Sewmate III made in 2007. All of the inserts are now made for the American made cabinets. Are the dimensions of the acrylic blank (K-5) the same as for the SM III? If I order one for my new Designer SE (Husq-Viking), will it fit my SM III? I’m half-tempted to take my old insert for the HV 1+, and make a template and use a jigsaw to do it myself….

Thanks much,

Bridget

12. avatar Carole
    Jul 01, 2015 @ 13:07:17

I own a Pfaff Creative 2.0 and I have a chance to buy a Cub Plus II off the internet. I need to know if my machine will fit the opening. Does it have a lift? I can’t find any information on this model.

Carole

13. avatar Susanne
    Jul 03, 2015 @ 15:14:35

I just purchased a new SewComfort chair. It didn’t come with any assembly instructions. Help! Thank you!

14. avatar Sean
    Jul 07, 2015 @ 21:37:04

My wife has a couple Koala pieces (maybe when I get her to straighten her quilt room we will upload some pics). Recently we were moving her QuiltMate and we broke a couple of the wheels (totally our fault), I have attempted to purchase new ones at the local big box hardware and online via Amazon, but have not found the right size. I started to look over your site to find a part number or an order option but didn’t find one. Can you help a guy out here? Email me if you are able to sell me these direct please..

Many thanks in advance!
    Sean

15. avatar Carrie O'Heron
    Aug 24, 2015 @ 19:20:23

I just purchased the Koala Club Plus IV Cabinet from our local quilt shop. I was looking on your website because now I would like to order the left had leaf extension with the two shelves. I don’t see any place I could order just those and if so, I was also looking for a price. Could I order that through you or do I need to go through my local quilt shop?

Carrie

16. avatar Jo Savino
    Oct 11, 2015 @ 08:43:32

I have a CraftCenter Pro, which I purchased in 2006 from The Fabric Center in Morris, Illinois. I also have the Outback Plus II, which I also purchased in 2006 from The Fabric Center in Morris, Illinois.

I would like to order the acrylic insert for my Janome 11000, but I do not see where to order it. All the places say for cabinets purchased after 2009.

I would also like to get a new cutting mat for the CraftCenter Pro, but, again, I do not see anywhere to order it. All I find are the square ones.

Can you tell me how to order these?

17. avatar C.L. Tree
    Oct 13, 2015 @ 13:33:01

I have an older Quiltmate sewing table (manufacture #484771) with the manual hydraulic lift. (It’s one of the last tables with square corners vs. the new rounded ones).
    I just bought a new insert for my Bernina Activa 230 … and it fits both the machine and the space great, but the sewing table platform itself does needs to be lowered 1/4″ to make the surface flush.

Are there instructions how I can do that?

Thanks

18. avatar Chris
    Oct 22, 2015 @ 15:54:23

I have 3 koala cabinets. One has completely shredded it’sveneer I cannot get help replacing or fixing it I spite of a promised lifetime guarantee. Any ideas? I have pictures of the problems but the San Diego dealer can not get the company to stand behind the warranty.

19. avatar Kathy Leming
    Nov 06, 2015 @ 15:30:11

I was at the Houston Quilt Festival this past weekend and have misplaced the card of the person I spoke with at Koala. I have a Quilt Pro cabinet that is the 32 1/4″ height. I purchased this last year in Dallas, TX at the Dallas Quilt Show. There is not a platform for my feet and I was told this should have been included with my order. Can someone help?

Please advise,

Thanks so much,
    Kathy Leming

20. avatar Elizabeth Mason
    Nov 09, 2015 @ 19:55:53

I recently bought a Dualmate Plus IV for my sewing maching and serger. I am mostly satisfied, but have 2 concerns.

1 ~ Someone else has commented on the foot control getting stuck underneath the back board, and keeps stitching after I want to quit. I agree that a lower back board would be helpful.

2 ~ The shelves for the front had to be ordered separately after I bought the table, and they were not cheap. I installed them with the supports provided, and thought they were too short to support the heavy shelves. They do tip over too easily no matter where I position items. What can be done to make them sturdier?

Thank you.

21. avatar Carolle dietrich
    Dec 21, 2015 @ 08:47:00

I purchased a koala cabinet for my new bernina 730e. They also ordered the acrylic insert.
    My last koala cabinet along with an insert was perfectly flat. I have used the electronic lift to try to make it flat, but it is not. This is really an irritation when machine quilting. Is there an adjustment underneath that I can make? It just seems that the acrylic insert is just not thick enough.
    Frustrated.

• avatar J. Yandell
      Jan 29, 2017 @ 23:33:05

My wife recently ordered and received a Sew Mate Plus IV with the OutBack Leaf Extension, XL Lift and XL Custom Cut Matching Wood Insert. The design and build quality of the cabinet is fantastic. However, we are extremely disappointed with the custom cut machine insert. The insert is made of material that is only 1/4 inch thick. This is not the sewing machine insert depicted in the Treasure Chest Plus IV / Sew Mate Plus IV videos on the website. When the insert is installed, it does not sit flush with or sit rigidly in the tabletop cutout. A little pressure causes the insert to react like a springboard. Based on the videos and the $199 cost, we expected the insert to be constructed more like the solid table top insert that comes with the cabinet. Given the quality of the cabinet overall, I expected the machine insert to be designed and built to fill the cutout and sit perfectly flush with the rest of the table without flexing. Consider that for $199, we received the entire Outback Leaf Extension (and support standards) made with 3/4 inch material. For this additional $199, we received a 1/4″ thick flimsy board which is more suitable as a template for building a more practical insert than for actual use as an insert. I suspect Koala’s acrylic insert would be even be more flexible. We don’t think a $199 insert, intended to make the sewing surface level/flush around the machine, should need to be shimmed and blocked in order to be usable when brand new. I will reiterate that the online videos do show an insert constructed to something closer to the dimensions of the solid table top insert, which is what is to be expected given the quality of the fabrication of the rest of the sewing cabinet.

22. avatar Diane Dean
    Jan 16, 2016 @ 08:00:11

I own an Ellisimo sewing machine and am interested in a Koala sewing table/cabinet. I found a very nice one at the local sewing center that was a demo and so the price is reduced. The question I have is could the machine opening be enlarged to accommodate the possibility of my purchasing a Destiny machine in the future.

I value the quality of Koala, but also value a significant discount on the floor model piece.

Please let me know if something like this can be done and if so, can Wichita KS do it?

23. avatar Glenna
    Jan 17, 2016 @ 16:30:16

I am a little disappointed. I received my Destiny cabinet a few days ago and as I try to put the ends on it with the shelves. I find I have no direction as to where the screws and brackets go. I have tried the process of elimination of parts but that hasn’t been the way to go. I understood I would get it totally assembled. I just know when I get it figured out, I am going to love it. It looks like it is very well made and is beautiful. If you could e-mail me some instructions it would be very helpful otherwise I’m going to need to call someone to help me.

24. avatar Bev
    Feb 02, 2016 @ 08:15:05

If I upgrade to a large embroidery machine, can I trade in my studio toward a larger unit?

• avatar Janet
      Feb 08, 2016 @ 00:11:54

You definitely can’t trade yours in. You have to buy a new studio. I’ve heard they make a special
      custom insert though, but not sure how that would work. Or if it would work with your possible large machine. I read that on the Koala site somewhere. Call your local dealer and inquire.

25. avatar Sue
    Mar 17, 2016 @ 07:25:35

How much weight can the left and right extension tables support?
    Trying to determine if I could put my small 15 pound machine on the left side extension table.

• avatar Tori
      Mar 17, 2016 @ 08:42:03

Hi Sue! You shouldn’t have a problem using the side extensions for your smaller machine. Thank you!

26. avatar Francine Jackson
    Mar 20, 2016 @ 10:59:06

How much does the treasure chest IV weigh? I have to take it up two flights of stairs!

27. avatar Karen Hudson
    Mar 21, 2016 @ 07:54:21

I have the complete wall system. I’m having new floors installed. Do I need to break it apart to move it? Any information you can provide is appreciated

Thanks

Karen

28. avatar Harry Nachtigall
    Mar 24, 2016 @ 16:47:26

Is there any way to adjust the compression on the sew comfort cl chair?

29. avatar Carol
    Mar 26, 2016 @ 08:21:01

I just purchased the Serger cabinet 548796 cabinet, and was told there is an insert to put in the top to make a flat surface. I’ve been unable to find it on your website. Is there such an item available? Thank you.

30. avatar Ivonne
    Apr 03, 2016 @ 18:03:08

My old Koala does not fit my new Viking Epic, which Studio or cabinet will accommodate the Epic?

31. avatar Cindy Wilson
    Apr 11, 2016 @ 06:35:08

Is the black foam that is part of the packing materials recyclable?

32. avatar Carole Vrshek
    Apr 12, 2016 @ 12:16:40

I am shopping for a new Koala cabinet for my 2 Bernina machines – 830 and 790. I really like the idea of the DualMate cabiinet. Is it possible to use both of these machines in this cabinet?

33. avatar Melody Delzer
    Apr 30, 2016 @ 12:25:19

I just bought a new Babylock Ovation and am interested in the Serger Studio. I’m short and am concerned the stated height of 30 inches will be a problem for me. My current sewing tables are approx 26-27 inches high (I remove the wheels to reduce the height). Can the serger studio be ordered at a lower height? I’d also like to know it’s overall width and estimated cost of the unit.
    MelodyDelzer

34. avatar Arieanna Glennon
    Apr 30, 2016 @ 18:57:26

I own a Koala chair purchased one year ago in Paducah. One wheel has broken. The two side plastic “rollers” come completely off the chair each time it is rolled. The other three rollers are perfect. Need a replacement wheel badly.

35. avatar Nancy
    May 02, 2016 @ 17:18:05

A wheel on my Treasure Chest Plus IV was broken off in a move. Can I replace that? What sort of wheel or part do I need?

36. avatar Nancy
    May 02, 2016 @ 17:19:10

I have tried to register as a club member, but I have had little luck. Is there a trick? No link was sent to my email for confirmation.

37. avatar Ruth Quinn
    May 03, 2016 @ 09:58:53

Where is the entry form for the “Let’s Go Custom” sweeps? According to the ad in the July issue of Threads magazine, the website is MyKoalaStudio.com/GoCustom, but that website is not found, and searching does not lead to any relevant pages.

38. avatar Patricia Dukie
    May 31, 2016 @ 12:31:27

I don’t know whether or not my contest entry “took” and there are no Contact Us sections in this site. Could you please check to see that my entry is in your queue? Thank youl

39. avatar JOANNE Westfoot
    Jun 19, 2016 @ 09:35:00

Can you tell me if you supply these to the UK as I would really like one!

40. avatar Lisa
    Jun 23, 2016 @ 18:21:34

How much does the TreasureChest IV weigh? I see that this question was asked above, but I don’t see an answer. Thank you!

41. avatar Laura
    Aug 22, 2016 @ 07:01:35

I have the Quilt Pro Plus IV with all the accessories. The height is 32″ and it is too tall for me :(
    Is there anyway to lower it…would it be okay to take the wheels off ? Would that lower it ?
    Is there a place to sell our “used” cabinets and buy new ones ?

42. avatar Colleen
    Aug 29, 2016 @ 22:00:35

Looking for a replacement cutting mat for my Koala cutting table. It measures out to a 42″ square grid mat. Haven’t found anything out there. What can you help me with?

43. avatar Deborah
    Sep 01, 2016 @ 17:47:34

My mother gave me a Koala StiwAway. She says that the Air Lift System was never used and I can’t seem to figure out how to use it.

I also need to get a cutout for my machine. Where do I do this? Online or a dealer?

I have always admired this table and am looking forward to using it to its fullest extent!

• avatar Erika Kuhn
      Sep 09, 2016 @ 15:34:33

Hi Deborah! An acrylic insert can be ordered, but we will need to know the dimensions of the lift opening. To order this part please call our consumer helpline at 1-877-496-8060 and you will be able to also to discuss other questions you may have about this model. Thank you!

44. avatar Marla Whiteman
    Sep 10, 2016 @ 13:22:50

I moved from Kansas City to the Phoenix area and a few of my casters broke. My movers must have packed too tightly. How can I replace them? Is there a way I can buy replacements? Right now my beautiful sewing studio is a bit “tilted”!

45. avatar Sherry Wilcox Wharam
    Oct 06, 2016 @ 17:29:19

I have a Koala unit that is about 20 years old and love it. In a recent move, one of the casters broke off. Is there a way to purchase a replacement caster? Thank you.

46. avatar Kathleen Macedo
    Oct 08, 2016 @ 10:26:04

I recently acquired a “pro +4 and need to have it moved to my sewing room on the second floor of my house. How heavy is this Studio? It did not come with a lift and has drawers.

47. avatar BJ
    Nov 05, 2016 @ 04:22:03

Are the cabinets easily moved across carpet…particularly the TreasureChest with Outback Leaf.

48. avatar Suzette
    Nov 15, 2016 @ 19:15:51

I have purchased a new Koala Artisan cabinet for my Destiny. There is a long hallway in my home & the cabinet will have to be stood on its end to get in the door. Will the cabinet withstand all of its weight on one end without buckling in the middle?

• avatar Tori
      Nov 21, 2016 @ 09:56:21

Hi Suzette! Please call our consumer helpline at 1-877-496-8060 to speak with someone about moving your cabinet. Thank you!

49. avatar terry robinson
    Nov 19, 2016 @ 15:31:16

I want to cancel my projected order total $$4745 which I spoke with your salesperson in Houston, at this time I’m not interested.

Thanks

Terry Robinson

• avatar Tori
      Nov 21, 2016 @ 09:55:34

Hi Terry! If you wish to cancel an order, please call our consumer helpline at 1-877-496-8060. Thank you!

50. avatar Maryanne Perry
    Dec 29, 2016 @ 13:51:42

I have a Treasure Chest IV in Brazilian Cherry. It’s 35 1/2 inches tall. We just moved, and both doors have been severely damaged. Can I order replacement doors?

Maryanne Perry
    910.273.6911

• avatar Erika
      Dec 30, 2016 @ 10:54:45

Hi Maryanne! Please call our consumer helpline at 1-877-496-8060 to speak with someone about ordering replacement doors for your Treasure Chest IV. Thank you!