Koala Studios FAQ’s

Koala Studios FAQ

Q: If I have a Koala Studio, what happens when I buy a new machine?

A: When you purchase a new sewing machine, you can order a new custom cut machine insert. Koala inserts are custom made for your sewing machine make and model and are available in either matching wood or clear acrylic.

If your new machine is more than 22 in. wide or weights more than 50 pounds, then you will need a new Koala Studio with the XL Lift. Lear more about the XL Lift here.

Q: What materials are used to make Koala Studios?

A: The materials used in building Koala Studios were chosen so that each Studio could be made with rounded beveled edges that eliminate sharp edges and corners that snag fabrics. This design element also provides the operator comfort and enjoyment of a beautiful finished piece of furniture.

To incorporate these design advantages, the wood core must be made from a dense, high-grade, 3/4 in. thick fiberboard with no imperfections and shaped with a computer-controlled diamond tip router. Once shaped, the board is then finished with a beautiful, thick vinyl veneer that is hard-wearing, scratch-resistant, water resistant, and easy to clean.

Q: Where are Koala Studios made?

All Koala Studios are made in our own American Midwest factory that is owned by an American third-generation family run business.

Q: What heights are available for the cabinets?

A: For most Studio models, there are three height options: 29 1/4 in., 32 1/4 in., and 35 1/4 in. The TreasureChest, StorageCenter, and CraftPro can also be built at a height of 38 1/4 in.

Q: What is the best cabinet height for me?

This question is quite personal, and there are several factors that need to be considered when making this decision in addition to a person’s height. One of the biggest challenges our customers deal with are physical issues related to aging that continue to change over time, such as eyesight, flexibility, and possible injuries. In dealing with these challenges, Koala provides several options to meet individual needs that include variables that can be adjusted over time. These variable include adjustable floors, foot control rests, machine lift platforms, and chairs.

Also, it is important to consider if you are only going to use the studio while sitting or if you desire to use it while standing to layout projects and cut fabric. If you want to use it for both sitting and standing, start by choosing the right standing height that meets your personal needs. From there, you will need to order the studio with an adjustable floor, foot control rest, and chair, so that it is ergonomically correct for you while sitting and standing.

Q: Does the Outback Leaf Extension come standard with the cabinet?

No. Not everyone has room for the Outback Leaf Extensions, so it is not automatically built into every studio. But if desired, it will need to be added as an accessory option at the time you purchase your base model cabinet as it cannot be added after the Studio is built and shipped.

Q: If I don’t order an Outback Leaf, can I add one on later?

Q: What do you mean by “Studio”?

More than just a table or storage cabinet, Koala Studios are designed and built to complement your home, as well as inspire creativity. When using a Koala Studio, even when shared with other furniture, we consider this space to be your creative retreat. We also consider a room featuring several Koala models to be a Studio Suite.

Q: What is included in a Base Model?

The base model features are standard with each Studio, but vary on companion models. The base model features on a Studio include: electric glide lift, left and right front doors, notion and fabric palettes, internal adjustable shelves, soft-closing drawers, and built at a standard height.

Q: What are Outback Shelves?

Optional Outback Shelves are designed to be attached below the optional Outback Leaf Extension. They are designed to provide added storage and enable a user to position the Studio in the center of a room to maximize the storage and surface areas, much like a kitchen island.

Q: How should I clean my Koala Studio?

Koala Studios are easy to clean.  We often use Pledge or Windex multi-surface wipes.

Q: Is the finish easily scratched?

The finish is a thick vinyl veneer that is mar-resistant, water resistant, and beautiful. Veneer of this quality has a wonderful richness of color, but is not bullet proof. Take care when using scissors, notions, and other accessories. If ever a component of the studio is severely damaged, it can be replaced and will match perfectly.

Q: Will my machine fit in a Koala Studio?

The vast majority of sewing machines on the market will fit in Koala’s standard machine opening.

For the largest machines- over 22 in. wide and weighing over 50 lbs.- Koala recommends the optional XL Lift. Click here for more information.

Q: What embroidery machines fit in the Koala Artisan Studio?

The Artisan’s Embroidery Module Closet has been designed to fit the Baby Lock Destiny and Brother Dream Machine, as well as all Baby Lock and Brother machines.  It also accommodates most other embroidery modules, but does not fit the Viking Epic.  We recommend confirming with your local Koala retailer to determine the best Studio to fit your machine. Additionally, Bernina 700 and 800 series owners should choose Koala’s BERNINA Studio, available exclusively through BERNINA retailers.

Q: What is the Embroidery Hoop Closet?  Can I add it to my Koala Studio?

We have two different sizes of Embroidery Hoop Closets, the “Standard” and “Artisan” hoop closets.  The “Artisan” hoop closet only fits in the Artisan Studio and is included as a standard feature of the base model Artisan studio. In addition to storing a variety of hoops, the Artisan hoop closet provides limited space for stabilizer storage.

The “Standard” embroidery hoop closet may be added as an optional accessory at the time of order on the QuiltMate, QuiltPro, DualMate, SewMate, TreasureChest, and Bernina Studios when equipped with the “Standard” machine lift.  The “Standard” embroidery hoop closet cannot be added as an accessory to these listed models when ordered along with  XL Lift option. The “Standard” embroidery hoop closet may also be added to the Storage Center and Small Storage Centers.

If you are unsure if this can be added to the model of your choice, please contact your local Koala Retailer for help in customizing your studio.

1. avatar Deborah Evenich
    Jan 23, 2017 @ 11:59:48

Hello,
    I purchased a Koala cabinet a number of years ago. The plastic sleeve on the outside of the shelf that houses the machine is breaking off in pieces. Is this something that can be replaced? I don’t think it affects the usefulness of the shelf, but it sure doesn’t look very nice.

• avatar Donna Pritchard
      Jan 26, 2017 @ 22:09:38

I have the same problem as Deborah Evenich (above ) with the plastic breaking on the outside of the shelf as well. Is there a replacement for this.?I have done an extensive search and can’t seem to find a location for a replacement. I agree with Deborah …it doesn”t look very nice. Please advise me if there is any solution. Thank you. I will look forward to hearing from you.

Donna Pritchard

Jan 30, 2017 @ 15:23:00

Hi Donna! Thanks for reaching out. We recommend calling our customer service helpline to discuss your situation further. They can be reached at (877) 496-8060. Thank you!

Jan 30, 2017 @ 15:23:42

Hi Deborah,
      Thanks for reaching out. Please give us a call at (877) 496-8060 to speak with one of customer service representatives about your situation. Thank you!

2. avatar Tera Barton
    Jan 24, 2017 @ 21:02:17

The casters on my older model koala cabinet have broken while we were moving. Is there any where I can order new casters?

• avatar Deana Murchison
      Jan 29, 2017 @ 06:22:46

I too had my casters broken in a cross country move this month. I am also looking for a place to buy casters.

Jan 30, 2017 @ 16:42:46

Hi Deana! Thanks for reaching out. You can order replacement casters for your cabinet by calling (877) 496-8060 to speak with one of customer service representatives. Thank you!

Jan 30, 2017 @ 16:45:36

Hi Tera! Thanks for reaching out. Please call (877) 496-8060 to speak with a customer service representative about ordering replacement casters for you koala cabinet. Thank you!

3. avatar Janie deLeon
    Jan 26, 2017 @ 11:21:37

I am thinking on purchasing either a Sew Mate Plus IV or the TreasureChest plus IV –
    My question is , if I add height to either cabinet, do the drawer become deeper or is another drawer added to make up for the height? Say, for instance, if I add 6 inches to the Sew Mate Plus IV, is another drawer added or do the drawers become deeper?

Feb 03, 2017 @ 14:27:04

Hi Janie! The TreasureChest is 35″ version of the SewMate Plus IV. The TreasureChest has 3 drawers vs. the SewMate with 2 drawers. When extra height is added to a model, it does not increase drawer count or depth. Additional shelf space is added above the drawers.

4. avatar Ruth Johnson
    Jan 27, 2017 @ 19:41:21

Can my Koala T-chest 667567 get an insert for a Bernina 830 which ships 50 lbs?

Jan 30, 2017 @ 16:40:04

Hi Ruth! You can order a customizable insert for your studio. We recommend visiting your local Koala Studios retailer to place an order. Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you!

5. avatar J. Yandell
    Jan 29, 2017 @ 23:35:06

My wife recently ordered and received a Sew Mate Plus IV with the OutBack Leaf Extension, XL Lift and XL Custom Cut Matching Wood Insert. The design and build quality of the cabinet is fantastic. However, we are extremely disappointed with the custom cut machine insert. The insert is made of material that is only 1/4 inch thick. This is not the sewing machine insert depicted in the Treasure Chest Plus IV / Sew Mate Plus IV videos on the website. When the insert is installed, it does not sit flush with or sit rigidly in the tabletop cutout. A little pressure causes the insert to react like a springboard. Based on the videos and the $199 cost, we expected the insert to be constructed more like the solid table top insert that comes with the cabinet. Given the quality of the cabinet overall, I expected the machine insert to be designed and built to fill the cutout and sit perfectly flush with the rest of the table without flexing. Consider that for $199, we received the entire Outback Leaf Extension (and support standards) made with 3/4 inch material. For this additional $199, we received a 1/4″ thick flimsy board which is more suitable as a template for building a more practical insert than for actual use as an insert. I suspect Koala’s acrylic insert would be even be more flexible. We don’t think a $199 insert, intended to make the sewing surface level/flush around the machine, should need to be shimmed and blocked in order to be usable when brand new. I will reiterate that the online videos do show an insert constructed to something closer to the dimensions of the solid table top insert, which is what is to be expected given the quality of the fabrication of the rest of the sewing cabinet.

Jan 30, 2017 @ 17:04:12

Hi J. Yandell, thanks for reaching out. We have sent this to our Koala Studios product team. We will respond back soon with further information.

6. avatar Lynda Bramlett
    Feb 03, 2017 @ 09:18:17

When will your Artisan series studios be added to your “Plan a Room” App? I want to see if the artisan will fit into my sewing room.
    Thanks

7. avatar Barbara Paugh
    Feb 13, 2017 @ 16:03:04

I need to remove one of the bi-fold doors on my cabinet. In our recent move from Fl to Md the directions seem to have been misplaced. I remember the hinges gave a quick release “button” but font know how. Is there a jpg you can send me to see?

Feb 13, 2017 @ 16:53:07

Hi Barbara! Thanks for reaching out. Here is a short video that demonstrates adjusting the doors on your studio that could be helpful in your situation: https://youtu.be/QUUaHiTpA4w If you are still having trouble let us know.

8. avatar Gail Hyden
    Feb 17, 2017 @ 14:52:27

I have a Koala sewing table with double lifts, two rolling extensions.
    And one of the hinges is broken. How can I order a replacement?

Feb 20, 2017 @ 09:37:22

Hi Gail! Thanks for reaching out. Please call our consumer helpline at 1-877-496-8060 to speak with someone about ordering replacement parts. Thank you!

9. avatar Brandy
    Feb 24, 2017 @ 05:21:15

I purchased floor model slimline artisan embroidery module from koala dealer. I want to extend the sides of the sewing table for making quilts.Do you just sell the top piece of the storage cabinets or do I have to buy a storage cabinets for each side?

Feb 27, 2017 @ 10:30:13

Hi Brandy! Thanks for reaching out. We do not make side extension leafs. The Artisan RollAbout can be positioned alongside your Slimline Artisan to provide extra surface area and storage. Thank you!

10. avatar Kathie karsten
    Mar 02, 2017 @ 05:57:29

Is there an online store to order parts?

Mar 02, 2017 @ 11:12:49

Hi Kathie! Thanks for reaching out. We do not sell parts online. You can order parts through the consumer helpline at 1-877-496-8060. Thank you!

11. avatar Paula Maxwell
    Mar 08, 2017 @ 13:37:24

I acquired a used Koala cabinet for a multi needle machine. The vinyl veneer is a cherry colored one and is separating and peeling away from the edges and has turned very hard & stiff. Can it be repaired somehow & if so, how? If not, can it be cut off and the under wood coated with something to protect it from being damaged any more than it has been.
    I think it was left in a storage facility with no humidity control.
    Thanks in advance.

Mar 09, 2017 @ 12:38:06

Hi Paula! Thanks for reaching out. Give us a call at 1-877-496-8060 to speak with a representative about the options for repairing your cabinet. Thank you!

12. avatar T
    Mar 12, 2017 @ 10:25:51

My mom has a Koala KCSTOR5 and is now in the market for a new sewing machine. What brand/model of sewing machine would be best? If needed, can we get an insert so her new machine will fit the KCSTOR5?

Mar 13, 2017 @ 09:40:32

Hello! Thanks for reaching out. We recommend visiting your local Koala Studios dealer about the machine options or calling our consumer helpline at 1-877-496-8060 to see about the options for her particular studio. Find your nearest dealer: http://bit.ly/2nmgTWr Thank you!

13. avatar Jennie Hall
    Mar 12, 2017 @ 14:27:31

I have a Koala cabinet that is about 10 year old. When the doors are closed, the cabinet can be locked. During a recent move I locked the doors and now cannot locate the key…I’ve looked everywhere. Can I order a replacement key?
    Thank you!
    Jennie Hall

Mar 13, 2017 @ 09:27:11

Hi Jennie! Thanks for reaching out! Please give us a call at 1-877-496-8060 to speak with a representative about the options about a replacement key. Thank you!

14. avatar Kathleen Fields
    Mar 14, 2017 @ 22:58:24

I have an older Koala Studio (about 12 years old) that I have been using with my Viking machine. I am considering buying the new BabyLock Jazz and wonder if that will fit in the Studio and if inserts are available for it? Thank you.

Mar 17, 2017 @ 12:07:34

Hi Kathleen! Thanks for reaching out. Depending on what type of Koala Studio you have will determine if the Baby Lock Jazz will be able to fit into your model. Please give us a call at 1-877-496-8060 to see if this option is available. Thank you!

15. avatar LaJune
    Mar 17, 2017 @ 16:50:21

I purchased the my 2nd koala cabinet in November 2016 and paid for several of the additional options. It’s March 2017 and I still HAVE NOT RECEIVED the custom insert for my Baby Lock Destiny 2. I’ve been told over and over that it’s shipped and I should receive it soon. Four months IS NOT SOON. CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME? All I want is the custom insert that I ordered. I don’t know what happened to this company but something is obviously seriously wrong. I had planned to order again but that’s no longer on my mind. I’m ready to ask for my money back and turn to social media.

Mar 21, 2017 @ 13:17:54

Hi LaJune, we are very sorry to hear about your disappointment with our service. The custom insert ships separately from the Studios, but this is not within our standards. Please give us a call at 1-877-496-8060 to speak with someone about the estimated arrival date for your insert as well as the other concerns you may have about your order. Again, we apologize.

16. avatar Sue
    Mar 18, 2017 @ 14:31:12

I just received my new cabinet, and the wheels are very stiff. the middle ones on the doors hardly want to move at all. Can you tell me what I can do to make them move easier when opening or closing them bi-fold doors?

Mar 20, 2017 @ 15:22:44

Hi Sue! Thanks for reaching out to us. Please give us a call at 1-877-496-8060 to speak with someone about the trouble you are experiencing with your studio.

17. avatar Rebecca
    Apr 01, 2017 @ 17:30:28

I live in the US and in the beginning stages of starting a small fabric/sewing/quilting business. I intend to buy Koala chairs for our quilting classes, however, how might I become a retailer?

Apr 03, 2017 @ 10:54:28

Hi Rebecca! Thanks for reaching out. Please send us an email with your inquiry and contact information to facebook@tacony.com. Thank you!

18. avatar Kim
    Apr 16, 2017 @ 18:50:41

I have had my cabinet for a while but have never been able to get my outback shelves to fit right. Has anyone else had this problem? I would love to use them.

19. avatar Michele Brown
    Apr 21, 2017 @ 12:00:12

My Bernina cabinet by Koala was delivered this week. When the machine insert is in place, where should I store the piece that fits in the hole when the machine is in the down position? Is there a place in the table that the piece fits? Thanks!

20. avatar Theresa Gaines
    Apr 29, 2017 @ 17:26:23

I’ve had my Koala for sometime now and did not get the front or back selves on the ones under the table and now I can’t find the info on how to put them on Thanks